Are you interested in sharing your soil expertise with members of the Vancouver community, in the spirit of the International Year of Soil? If so, consider volunteering with the Beaty Biodiversity Museum or Science World! See below for opportunities:
Beaty Biodiversity Museum (contact person – Jackie Chambers, Education & Outreach Manager, email firstname.lastname@example.org ):
· Spring Break – we are running drop in, hands-on activities for families every day from March 9 – 20. These happen over lunch time and last for 1 hour. Would you be interested in running a one hour activity one lunch hour over the March break?
· Ask an Expert table – takes place on the first Sunday of the month from 11:00 – 3:00pm. This is a place where people can ask questions about a particular subject, perhaps we could focus on local soil types?
· Campus Walks – these take place on the third Saturday of the month from 10:15 – 12:15. Let me know if you are interested I can let you know what dates I have available. Perhaps we could focus on local soil types
· Way Cool lecture – takes place on the first Sunday of the month from 1:00 – 2:00pm. Let me know if you are interested I can let you know what dates I have available.
· Social Media – we have a blog and various social media tools, would you like to write a blog, or send us some content, we would be happy to promote your events using these formats.
1) BC Science Outreach Workshop on Mar 2, 2015 (tentative schedule below)
During both the morning and afternoon breakout sessions of the workshop there will be “Table Talks” which is a sort of structured networking session with 5-7 tables and each table will have a theme and an expert/facilitator for that theme. Please note that our colleague Dru Yates is member of the 2015 Workshop Planning Committee, hence, you could contact Dru directly (email@example.com) for more info.
Click HERE for the draft of the workshop schedule
2) Science World’s Community Scientist Initiative (CSI) is looking for scientists, researchers and other science-based professionals with a keen interest in engaging with public audiences, to become science communicators and ambassadors (see http://www.scienceworld.ca/
We are recruiting scientists and researchers to participate in 2 professional engagement workshops beginning on February 24, 2015, and will have another intake planned for the May 2015.