POSITION TITLE: Junior Soil Scientist
POSITION TYPE: Full time, contract (with possibility to become permanent)
COMPENSATION:Commensurate with experience
Integral Ecology Group (IEG) is a small company committed to improving the ecological, cultural, and social wellbeing of people and the planet. We are a group of highly educated and experienced professionals who work across a variety of technical disciplines at the interface between humans and their environments. We apply innovative solutions and support for effective land-use management, culture and ecosystem assessment, reclamation, cumulative effects, and environmental governance. IEG believes that with energy, determination, creativity, and commitment, we can make a positive difference in our communities.
In our ecological work, we provide consulting services in the fields of: reclamation research, monitoring and planning, reclamation and ecological modelling, ecological classification, and rare plant surveys. The successful candidate will be part of the reclamation team and be encouraged to broaden their skill-set through diverse research across the company and with collaborators. IEG has one office in Duncan, British Columbia, although the majority of employees work remotely. Project-specific information can be found at our website – www.integralecologygroup.com.
The position primarily entails applying soil expertise to soil data management, data synthesis, and effectively communicating results in reports. Excel and R will be used to enter, process, and analyze soil data. The role will be heavily focused on data cleaning, organization and summarization, with contributions to report writing and data presentation (e.g. graphing in R, creating Shiny apps). Periodic field work should be expected during summer months. This will entail independently conducting formal soil surveys, participating in other terrestrial ecology survey efforts, and physical work in remote locations. Candidates willing to relocate to Vancouver Island and commute to the Duncan, BC office once per week will be given preference, but this is not a requirement.
• Minimum of an undergraduate degree in soil science or closely related discipline with specific knowledge pertaining to soil water and its relation to ecosystem characteristics.
The successful candidate should demonstrate:
- Proficiency in Excel and R (or other programming languages);
- Sound data management skills;
- The technical ability to integrate, interpret, and analyze multiple soil datasets;
- The ability to write concise summaries of soil data and integrate with broaderreclamation survey results;
- Proficiency with technical writing and clear presentation of data;
- Familiarity and use of the Canadian System of Soil Classification;
- Statistics competency at a 2nd year undergraduate level with applied experience;
- Strong attention to detail; and
- The ability to travel and carry out physically demanding field research in semi-remote, challenging terrain. The successful candidate will also:
- Be hardworking, fun, flexible, organized, and a self-starter with a positive attitude;
- Demonstrate the ability to work with minimal supervision and as a team player;
- Be willing and able to balance multiple project requirements while achieving highlevels of technical excellence; and
- Have career goals that align with IEG’s work and have enthusiasm for personal andprofessional development.
Please attach a curriculum vitae, names and contact information for three professional references, and a cover letter detailing qualifications and research interests to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure that the job title, “Junior Soil Scientist”, is noted in the subject line of the email. Please do not contact us by phone.
Applications will be reviewed as received with a start date as soon as possible. This job posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
For more information: https://app.luminpdf.com/viewer/cSfrZ5SpaBKRQDgHW