Growing Agricultural Innovation
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada – Science and Technology Branch (STB)
Various STB Research and Development Centre locations across Canada
$55,870 to $144,413 (The classification level and salary will be determined by the qualifications of the candidate).
The specific expertise sought will contribute to attaining the following goals:
Goal #1: Increase agro-ecosystem resilience and agriculture’s ability to adapt to climate change through a systems approach (including Living Laboratories)
· Some relevant areas of expertise include: agro-meteorology; artificial intelligence; machine learning; atmospheric chemistry; atmospheric modelling; biodiversity; ‘omics’ including genomics, phenomics and metagenomics; farmscaping; geostatistics; landscape ecology; climate modelling; data analytics; bioinformatics; environmental science; mathematical modelling; microbiome engineering; remote sensing and sensor networks; systems biology; watershed hydrological modelling; and other related areas.
Goal #2: Develop clean technologies to improve agriculture’s environmental performance
· Some relevant areas of expertise include: bioinformatics; bioresource engineering; biochemistry; enzymology; ecological engineering; carbohydrate chemistry; machine learning; mechatronics; metabolomics; modelling; phytobiomics; remote sensing; software engineering; and other related areas.
Goal #3: Increase soil, plant and animal health and increase productivity by unlocking the microbiome
· Some relevant areas of expertise include: animal systems and gut microbiome; bioinformatics; metagenomics; microbiome engineering; phytobiome; soil microbiome; microbial ecology; synthetic biology; and other related areas.
Goal #4: Accelerate the identification of superior traits and practices by revolutionizing germplasm development
· Some relevant areas of expertise include: artificial intelligence; machine learning; bioinformatics; genome editing (CRISPR); high throughput phenotyping and phenomics; multi-omics including proteomics, metabolomics, and transcriptomics; next generation sequencing; synthetic biology; and other related areas.
Goal #5: Enhancing risk management and reducing losses for producers through big data and predictive analytics
· Some relevant areas of expertise include: agro-meteorology; artificial intelligence; machine learning; atmospheric science; bioinformatics; biosystematics; computer programming; data analytics; earth observation; phenomics; precision agriculture; predictive modelling; process modelling; regional climate change modelling; software engineering; spatial statistics; and other related areas.
Goal #6: Develop agricultural practices to enhance the nutritional value of foods (metabolomics) and to reduce the impact of antimicrobial resistance
· Some relevant areas of expertise include: biochemistry; bioinformatics; phenomics; multi-omics including proteomics, transcriptomics, and nutrigenomics; microbiome; and other related areas.
Positions to be filled: 40
For more details and information on how to apply click here