The Pacific Regional Society of Soil Science (PRSSS) is a non-governmental, non-profit organization for professionals, students, and enthusiasts in the field of Soil Science and related land resources management areas. It is a grassroots professional organization with an executive driven by students and supported by a wide range of soil science professionals.
Founded in 1983, the PRSSS was established to:
- Facilitate professional interaction within the discipline of Soil Science.
- Promote discussion and awareness of soil issues in agriculture, forestry, natural resources, and urban sectors.
- Encourage networking and professional development between professionals and students.
Society Act Constitution
- The purpose of the PRSSS is to foster all educational, technical, and scientific aspects of soil science by convening meetings and workshops, by distributing newsletters, establishing committees, and engaging in all necessary activities related to the advancement of Soil Science in the province of British Columbia.
- Click HERE to see the official original Society Act Constitution or HERE to see the updated version.
Events and Outreach
The society organizes seminars, workshops, and field trips; distributes newsletters and encourages all members to share their interests and knowledge. To learn more click on the headings below.
- Focus on a Soil Science theme and discuss topics ranging from urban soils to water management and climate change and also include the Annual General Meeting. Click HERE to learn more.
- Explore British Columbia and the Pacific Northwest's soils in this course. Led by knowledgeable instructors, you will learn about the soil-forming factors that create the soils across our beautiful landscape. Previous trips included Vancouver Island and Williams Lake. Click HERE to learn more.
- This course may be offered as professional development or for credit depending on your institution.
- Spend a few nights away learning more soils, farming, land reclamation, and the natural world around us. Previous trips have included Salt Spring Island, the Okanagan, and Pemberton Valley. Click HERE to learn more.
- Join us for an informal networking opportunity with professors, professionals, students, and farmers in a fun and relaxed setting.
- Spend an hour with us putting your Soil Science knowledge and puzzle-solving skills to the test all for glory and to raise money for a good cause. Previous trivia nights have donated to the Vancouver Food Bank and the United Nations Refugee Agency. Click HERE to learn more.
- Our annual tradition of celebrating World Soil Day on December 5th encourages members to gather and share knowledge about soil. Past events have included a 'Soil Art Day' and a 'Soil Wikipedia Edit-A-Thon'. To learn more, click HERE.
- The Spring Workshop, Summer Soil ID Course, and Fall Field Tour, are members only, and members are the first to get notified of events and newsletters.
- To learn more about becoming a member, click HERE.
PRSSS Statement of Values
- (In progress)