Click on the links below for more details.
Upcoming Spring Workshop
Recent current events, such as increased forest fire severity, and regional flooding, has influenced many discussions about the state of our soil security. The topic for our 2022 AGM is “Soil Security: past, present, future.” Throughout the day, we will be diving into how past decisions have shaped current events, how current events are shaping future planning, and the different intersections of soil security.
DATE: Saturday, March 5, 2022
AGM Schedule (Time PST)
Registration cost is $15 for students and $50 for non-students/ professionals*. The price includes registration and a PRSSS annual membership for 2022/2023. The 2022/2023 membership registration cycle lasts from April 1, 2022 to March 31, 2023.
*If you are unable to pay the registration fee the PRSSS can subsidize the cost, because Soil Science is for everyone and cost should not be a barrier to education. If you identify as Indigenous, we will waive the registration fee to reflect the fact that the soils we study are on stolen land, therefore all soil science research should be openly available to Indigenous peoples. If either of these scenarios are relevant to you and you are comfortable doing so, please email the PRSSS at email@example.com to let us know.
Registration closes Friday March 4th, 2022 at midnight.
Student 3-minute Thesis Competition
Due to the 2022 PRSSS AGM meeting being in an online format, in lieu of poster presentations, PRSSS is happy to announce a 3-minute thesis presentation. Students are encouraged to share their research in a 3-min rapid presentation format. Presentations should be recorded prior to the AGM event on March 5th, 2022. During the event presenters will participate in a Q&A period.
- Letter of intent to submit pre-recorded submission video: Due @ registration
- 3-minute thesis presentation recording: Due March 2nd
- Recording format: MP4 is preferable, but we can accommodate whatever format is available to you
The event will be held online using Zoom. The link will be sent out to participants along with the program in the week leading up the event.
Past Spring Workshops
- 2022 Spring AGM and Workshop – Soil Security: past, present, future on March 27, 2022 3:50 pm
- 2021 Spring Workshop and AGM – Diversity in Soils: Environmental, Social, and Economic Effects on March 6, 2021 8:30 am
- 2020 Spring Workshop in Collaboration with the Fraser Valley Branch of the BCIA: Soils in the Field on March 7, 2020 9:00 am
- 2019 Spring Workshop and AGM – Frontiers in Soil Science on March 30, 2019
- 2018 Spring Workshop and AGM: The Role of Soil in Climate Change Adaptation on March 24, 2018 9:00 am
- 2017 Spring Workshop and AGM – Soil Water Dynamics in Urban, Agriculture and Wetland Ecosystems on March 25, 2017 9:00 am
- 2016 Spring Workshop and AGM (Joint Meeting with CSSS in Kamloops, BC): Soil – Our Silent Ally for Food Security and Sustainable Development on May 14, 2016 - May 19, 2016
- 2015 Spring Workshop and AGM – Broadening Horizons on March 28, 2015 9:00 am
- 2014 Spring Workshop and AGM – The Living Science of Soil on March 29, 2014
- 2013 Spring Workshop and AGM – Soil and Technology on March 16, 2013
- 2012 Spring Workshop and AGM: Soil and the Waste Stream on March 24, 2012
- 2011 Spring Workshop and AGM – Soils and Climate Change on March 26, 2011
- 2010 Spring Workshop and AGM – Soil Resilience on March 20, 2010
- 2009 Spring Workshop and AGM – Urban Agriculture: Soil and the City on March 7, 2009
- 2008 Spring Workshop and AGM – Moving From the Lab Bench to a Standard: Understanding data under the environmental microscope on March 15, 2008
- 2007 Spring Workshop and AGM – Understanding Laboratory Analysis on March 17, 2007
- 2006 Spring Workshop and AGM – Conserving Soil and Water Resources in BC on March 11, 2006
- 2005 Spring Workshop and AGM – Fields of Convergence: the diversity of contemporary soil science on March 19, 2005
- 2004 Spring Workshop and AGM – Advances in Soil Science and Current Issues in BC on March 20, 2004