Every summer the PRSSS hosts a soil identification course that is suitable for both the soil professional and soil-curious alike. Each year the course is held in a different region of BC where course participants can benefit from the wealth of knowledge shared by local soil experts as they explore the diverse array of soil types throughout the province.
The course runs for three days, beginning with an introduction to soil classification and field descriptions, as well as proper hand-texturing methods and jar testing. The remaining time is spent in the field where participants gain hands-on experience digging soil pits, interpreting what they discover, and integrating what they observe from the surrounding environment as soil formation factors and soil processes are revealed.
From students to professional foresters and surficial geologists, the varied backgrounds of participants create a unique group dynamic that fosters great conversations, debates, and a lot of fun!
Click on the links below for more details.
Upcoming Summer Soil Course
Our instructors and executive team have provided some supplementary resources that will enhance your learning during the soil ID course. These are by no means required, but will be pertinent.
Soils of the Horsefly area (introductory material and the following soil associations: Keno Lake, Ptarmigan, Spanish Lake, Spakwaniko, Saxton, McGreggor, Heger)
Soils of the Taseko Lakes Area (introductory material and the following soil associations: Chilcotin, Dog Creek)
Soils of the Williams Lake and Alexis Creek Area (introductory material and the following soil associations: Chimney, Williams Lake)
Steen and Coupe, 1997. A field guide to site identification in the Cariboo forest region. LMH 39. [relevant material: Ch 4, Ch 5 (ICH, IDF, BG & SBS), Ch 6 (BGxh3, BGxw2, SBSmh, IDFdk3, IDFxm, ICHwk2)]
Past Summer Soil Courses
- 2019 Summer Soil ID Course – Osoyoos on August 6, 2019 - August 8, 2019
- 2018 Summer Soil ID Course – Smithers, BC on July 17, 2018 - July 19, 2018
- 2017 Summer Soil ID Course: Southern Vancouver Island on May 23, 2017 - May 25, 2017
- 2016 Summer Soil ID Course: South Okanagan on June 13, 2016 - June 16, 2016
- 2015 Summer Soil ID Course: The Lower Fraser Valley on May 25, 2015 4:00 pm - May 28, 2015 4:00 pm
- 2014 Summer Soil ID Course – Fort St. James on August 11, 2014 - August 13, 2014
- 2013 Summer Soil ID Course – Kootenays and Castlegar on August 20, 2013 - August 22, 2013
- 2012 Summer Soil ID Course – Dawson Creek and the Peace River Region on July 10, 2012 - July 12, 2012
- 2011 Summer Soil ID Course – Williams Lake and the Chilcotin Region on July 12, 2011 - July 14, 2011
- 2010 Summer Soil ID Course – Southern Vancouver Island on May 11, 2010 - May 13, 2010
- 2009 Summer Soil ID Course – Okanagan Valley on June 11, 2009 - June 13, 2009